FastStone Image Viewer Free
Video tutorial & screenshots
All comments (27)
This review applies to version 5.2.
The latest version of this software will soon be reviewed by our
FastStone Image Viewer is not only an image viewer, as its title might make you think. It’s also an editor, resizer, converter, manager, in other words, a very comprehensive and feature-rich tool that helps you perform a large amount of activities and tasks regarding your images.
FastStone Image Viewer is also capable of impressing and standing apart from the many other image processing tools out there by the large number of image file formats that it supports. From popular ones like BMP, JPEG, PNG or GIF to lesser known ones and even to raw images, FastStone Image Viewer can handle tens of formats without requiring plug-ins or any other external software.
Considering it’s a free utility, the amount of additional features and functions that FastStone Image Viewer supports is truly surprising. For example, this handy tool can also remove the red-eye effect from photos, adjust their colors, crop and retouch pictures, create contact sheets or slideshows with a large variety of transition effects, allow viewing and manipulating EXIF metadata, applying effects and filters to the images, and many other more. Thoroughly talking about all the features, options and tools that this program contains will take tens of pages. The important part is that this tool can truly do a lot of things.
Furthermore, despite being so comprehensive, FastStone Image Viewer is also easy-to-use. It can be used as a simple image browser and viewer if needed without any problem.
To sum it all up, there’s no reason to hesitate getting this tool if you ever need a free yet complex and powerful image management and processing solution. I also recommend it with all my heart.
- Very easy-to-use and intuitive.
- Comprehensive and powerful, comes with a lot of additional features and options.
What's new in version 5.2
- Now you can copy and paste objects in Draw Board
- Added "Zoom at Center/Mouse Position" to the Settings
- Added "Smart-Filling" to the advanced options (Resize tab) of the Batch Convert tool
- Added Fit Width (Shift+W) and Fit Height (Shift+H) to the Zoom menu
- Improved the Copy/Move to Folder tool. Now you can press 1 to 9 to select a pre-defined destination folder
- Many other improvements and bug fixes.
What's new in version 5.0
Version 5.0 (February 28, 2014)
- Added option "Crop to Fit Full Screen" to the Slide Show tool
- Added larger thumbnail size (260 x 195 pixels) to the "Thumbnail" tab in the Settings (press F12)
- Added shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+A) for "Auto-Rotate based on EXIF Orientation Tag"
- Now it is possible to use the option "Do not resize if image is already smaller than requested size" when batch-resizing images based on one side
- Now you can tag or untag images even when the magnifier is activated
- Other small improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.9
- Added "Design and Print" (press Alt P), which allows you to print multiple images with text and effects on one page
- Improved "Adjust Curves". Now you can click and drag in image to adjust the curves directly. Endpoints of the curves are adjustable
- Added "Print Size" option to the Resize tab of the batch convert tool
- Added support of video files to the batch rename tool
- Added "Auto-Resize" option to the image-scanning tool
- Added "Show in Google Maps" and "Show in Google Earth" buttons to the “Image Properties” window. These buttons will be visible if the image has GPS information
- Many other small improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.8
Version 4.8 (April 04, 2013)
- Added a Minimize button (hidden at the top-right corner of the screen) to full screen mode. Now you can minimize the application to taskbar without exiting the full screen mode
- Added two Mouse Click options to use left/right clicks for previous/next images
- Improved the Draw Board. Now it is possible to draw curved lines
- Improved the Print dialog
- Other improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.7
Added Touch Interface (tap, swipe, pinch) support throughout the application
Added a new mouse gesture to move between images: Click at the bottom part of the preview window to switch to the next/preview image
Improved the Copy/Move dialog. Now it shows an image comparison window and allows you to select Replace, Skip and Rename when handling file name conflicts
Added an option to let you manually select which photos to download in the "Download Photos" tool
Improved the Print dialog
Added a new browser mode (under menu "View"->"Layout"), which provides a bigger image viewing area
Added a "Reduce Noise" tool
Improved the Straighten/Rotate dialog. Now it is possible to preserve aspect ratio when rotating an image
Improved the "Set Wallpaper Anywhere on Desktop" tool with "Drop Shadow" and "Cut" effects
Improved the "Text" tool in "Draw Board". Now you can see a preview of fonts in the font name list
Improved "Crop Board" by adding "Original Ratio" to the "Paper Ratio" list
Improved "Image Comparison" by adding an option to Auto-Fit images to the window
Improved folder navigation in Windows Libraries
Updated the RAW format library. Added support for SRW, NRW, RWL files. Added an option in the Raw tab of the Settings to enable/disable Raw files
Added a new skin called OSX
Many other minor improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.2
Now it is possible to batch convert images into PDF files.
Enhanced the magnifier.
Optimized the loading speed of Windowed View .
Fixed some bugs introduced in version 4.1.
Other minor improvements.
What's new in version 3.8
This version adds ability to set the number of copies for printing and also includes new tools for drawing on the imagery, fixes, optimization.
What's new in version 3.7
. Now you can preview the batch conversion by clicking the "Conversion Preview" button.
. Improved magnifier to view large images faster.
. Many other updates with some bugs fixed.
FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, retouching and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touches the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, PSD, EPS, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF, ARW, SR2, RW2 and DNG).
All comments (27)