FastStone Image Viewer Free
Video tutorial & screenshots
All comments (26)
This review applies to version 5.0.
The latest version of this software will soon be reviewed by our
FastStone Image Viewer could've just as easily be called FastStone Image Viewer, Editor, and Converter, which is a list of just few relevant tasks that this incredible free software tool can do with your photo collections.
It supports all well-known graphic file formats (BMP, JPEG, PSD, PNG, ICO, GIF, etc.), including all the most widely used proprietary RAW camera formats (such as Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, or Nikon).
The amount of tools and utilities that come with this program is, at the very least, surprising considering that it's free. As the program’s name gives off very little information about what this “viewer” really does, you will need to hover over various icons and pull down various menu options to discover what it can do for your images and photos. Among other things, you can resize and resample your images without losing their original quality. Besides, you can remove unwanted parts not only by cropping or trimming your photos, but by “brushing out” whatever element you want to get rid of without cutting out the entire area. You can remove that terrible “red-eye” effect and change the color of an entire picture by applying any of the various color effects provided – sepia, negative, black and white, gray scale, etc. You can create “contact sheets” of your collections, image montages, desktop wallpapers, creative slideshows complete with transition effects and background music, etc.
On top of all these editing features, FastStone Image Viewer can also be used to help you keep your photo collection organized. It allows you to tag your pictures, and to copy and move them to the right folder in a simple and convenient way. To help you make the right choices, the program will show you their EXIF information and their histogram, and will also allow you to compare up to four images at a time in its convenient side-by-side interface.
Finally, since this is a viewer as well, it is important to highlight the excellent viewing experience that both its full-screen and slideshow modes offer. I am still amazed at the fact that this is a completely free software tool. I’m afraid I cannot simply recommend you to download it and check it out for yourself – I believe it is essential for any amateur image-lover to have it permanently installed on their system.
- Wide support for all well-known image file formats.
- Creates high-quality slideshows with background music and transitions.
- Allows you to compare up to four images at a time.
- Powerful editing tools, including resizing and resampling capabilities.
- Includes more than 150 visual effects.
- EXIF and tag-editing support.
What's new in version 5.0
Version 5.0 (February 28, 2014)
- Added option "Crop to Fit Full Screen" to the Slide Show tool
- Added larger thumbnail size (260 x 195 pixels) to the "Thumbnail" tab in the Settings (press F12)
- Added shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+A) for "Auto-Rotate based on EXIF Orientation Tag"
- Now it is possible to use the option "Do not resize if image is already smaller than requested size" when batch-resizing images based on one side
- Now you can tag or untag images even when the magnifier is activated
- Other small improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.9
- Added "Design and Print" (press Alt P), which allows you to print multiple images with text and effects on one page
- Improved "Adjust Curves". Now you can click and drag in image to adjust the curves directly. Endpoints of the curves are adjustable
- Added "Print Size" option to the Resize tab of the batch convert tool
- Added support of video files to the batch rename tool
- Added "Auto-Resize" option to the image-scanning tool
- Added "Show in Google Maps" and "Show in Google Earth" buttons to the “Image Properties” window. These buttons will be visible if the image has GPS information
- Many other small improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.8
Version 4.8 (April 04, 2013)
- Added a Minimize button (hidden at the top-right corner of the screen) to full screen mode. Now you can minimize the application to taskbar without exiting the full screen mode
- Added two Mouse Click options to use left/right clicks for previous/next images
- Improved the Draw Board. Now it is possible to draw curved lines
- Improved the Print dialog
- Other improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.7
Added Touch Interface (tap, swipe, pinch) support throughout the application
Added a new mouse gesture to move between images: Click at the bottom part of the preview window to switch to the next/preview image
Improved the Copy/Move dialog. Now it shows an image comparison window and allows you to select Replace, Skip and Rename when handling file name conflicts
Added an option to let you manually select which photos to download in the "Download Photos" tool
Improved the Print dialog
Added a new browser mode (under menu "View"->"Layout"), which provides a bigger image viewing area
Added a "Reduce Noise" tool
Improved the Straighten/Rotate dialog. Now it is possible to preserve aspect ratio when rotating an image
Improved the "Set Wallpaper Anywhere on Desktop" tool with "Drop Shadow" and "Cut" effects
Improved the "Text" tool in "Draw Board". Now you can see a preview of fonts in the font name list
Improved "Crop Board" by adding "Original Ratio" to the "Paper Ratio" list
Improved "Image Comparison" by adding an option to Auto-Fit images to the window
Improved folder navigation in Windows Libraries
Updated the RAW format library. Added support for SRW, NRW, RWL files. Added an option in the Raw tab of the Settings to enable/disable Raw files
Added a new skin called OSX
Many other minor improvements and bug fixes
What's new in version 4.2
Now it is possible to batch convert images into PDF files.
Enhanced the magnifier.
Optimized the loading speed of Windowed View .
Fixed some bugs introduced in version 4.1.
Other minor improvements.
What's new in version 3.8
This version adds ability to set the number of copies for printing and also includes new tools for drawing on the imagery, fixes, optimization.
What's new in version 3.7
. Now you can preview the batch conversion by clicking the "Conversion Preview" button.
. Improved magnifier to view large images faster.
. Many other updates with some bugs fixed.
FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, retouching and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touches the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, PSD, EPS, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF, ARW, SR2, RW2 and DNG).
All comments (26)